Questions for the whole family
- Do you have the time to train a puppy?
- Do you have the time to housebreak a puppy?
- Who is going to care for the puppy during the day?
- Can you afford the necessary visits to the veterinarian?
- Do you have a safe place to keep the dog when you are not at home?
- Do you have the time to provide sufficient daily exercise for a Toller?
- Do you have enough room to meet the exercise needs of a Toller?
- Will the Toller temperament fit in with your family and lifestyle?
Getting a Toller Puppy
As a puppy buyer, you should carefully research breeders and their dogs. Tollers are a rare breed and thus far there is a greater demand for Tollers than the number produced each year.
Be an informed buyer. Understand the commitment you will be making.
Ask the breeder of any litter you consider about the goals of their breeding program; ask why they paired the parents of this litter and about titles the parents have earned. Make sure that both parents have been x-rayed for hip dysplasia and eyes checked for progressive retinal atrophy and cleared of other major inherited eye diseases.
Sometimes people get pups within a very short time, but often times they have to wait a long time.
Keep in mind that it may be better to wait for a pup until you feel you and the breeder have a good connection and feel they will be there for you and your needs. Be willing to search beyond your backyard to find the right breeder.
When you acquire a puppy from a responsible breeder, you also acquire support throughout the lifetime of your puppy.
Questions to ask your potential Breeder
- What are you striving for in your breeding program?
- How do you plan your litters and rate the pups?
- What are the AKC registered names and titles of the sire and the dam?
- What is the temperament of the sire and dam?
- Will I be able to meet one or both of the parents?
- What health checks have been done and what were the results on the dam and sire? Will you give me copies of the results?
- Do you belong to the NSDTRC (USA) or other dog clubs?
- Do you participate in events and/or hunt with your dog?
- Are the pups handled daily and socialized?
- Are you going to keep a pup? If not, why not?
- When can I visit my new puppy?
- Are you willing to ship the puppy to me?
- What veterinary care will the puppy have had when I take it home?
- What paperwork will I receive with my puppy?
- Are you willing to answer my questions after I take the dog home?
- Will you assist me if I cannot keep the dog?