- Conformation evaluates a dog’s qualifications, based on their breed standard, to determine which dogs are best for breeding.
- Since conformation is all about breeding, dogs must be intact to compete. They cannot be spayed or neutered.
- Conformation is the oldest type of dog competition. The first modern dog show was held in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, England in June 1859.
- The American Kennel Club (AKC) was established in 1884 and is the premier dog registry in America.
- Today, the AKC sanctions more than 15,000 conformation shows each year. They boast around 500 clubs and over 4,000 affiliates.
- Every year breed clubs, such as the NSDTRC (USA), hold a National Specialty for their breed. This always includes a breed specific conformation show. The National Specialty is a great way to see lots of Tollers in one room.
- Read the full Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever breed standard.