Code of Ethics
In keeping with the Bylaws and philosophy of the Club, to protect and further the advancement of the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, the following Code of Ethics has been established:
Code of Ethics
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Club (USA) – Approved 1996
- I subscribe to the purpose of the NSDTRC (USA) as set forth in the Bylaws and will abide by the rules set down by the Club.
- I will acquaint myself with the NSDTRC (USA) approved Breed Standard for the NSDTR (Toller), and with principles of good health and grooming for the breed.
- I will exhibit sportsman like conduct that will reflect on me and on the breed at all competitions, and will encourage others to do so. I will refrain from public criticism and malicious degrading of others and their dogs.
- I will ensure humane treatment, including proper feeding, maintenance, health care and training, for all my animals and will encourage other to do the same.
- I will commit myself to continuing education in matters pertaining to the care and training of the Toller.
- If I breed, I will strive to improve the Toller breed according to the NSDTRC Breed Standard. I will conscientiously plan each breeding, choosing only parents of appropriate temperament, appearance and other desirable qualities.
- I will become aware of genetic defects that can be harmful to the breed. When breeding, I will endeavor to select animals that will reduce the incidence of genetic problems while enhancing the positive attributes and abilities of the breed. I will be open with all persons interested in the welfare of the Toller and will discuss possible physical or temperament defects in my own stock.
- I will act responsibly in regards to all puppies produced by my breeding for the lifetime of the puppies.
- I will never knowingly sell to, or place a Toller with unethical persons or those who would not provide proper and humane care to the dog. I will refuse to sell any Toller to any pet shop or to any wholesale dealer in dogs.
- Should I become aware of the mistreatment, abuse, or need for relocation of any Toller, I will make every effort to be of assistance by notifying the breeder of the dog involved and the appropriate local authorities, and I will assist in any other manner in which I am able.